The “School Readiness Group Program” is conducted in Term 4 at Carington Health. To be eligible, children must be current clients of the Carrington Health Children’s Service and be preparing to start school in the following year. Each group comprises of 6 – 8 children and parents attend with their children. The groups are conducted by experienced Speech Pathologists and Occupational Therapists. The School Readiness Group aims to prepare children for starting school by developing their skills in listening, phonological awareness, turn-taking and fine motor skills through interactive games and craft activities.
Children learn the majority of their language skills in the first 5 years of their lives, when their brain development is most rapid, this results in children being more receptive to learning. To assist in their language development, CH runs Hanen; TARGET WORD LANG;PROGRAM; for children under 3 years of age who are ‘late talkers’.
This program provides a small group of pre-schoolers with an opportunity to develop their social communication and language skills. It engages the participation of parents and consults with the participants’ kindergarten teachers.
Children accepted into this group will typically have difficulties interacting socially with their peers. They may be referred to the group by a kindergarten teacher, health professional or their own families. Prior to their admission to the group they will be assessed for suitability by our staff.
These programs are conducted periodically. Children need to be referred in and assessed by staff as suitable candidates before they can attend a group.
- Speech OT Groups (SPOT)
- Alert Program for Self-Regulation/ “How does your engine run”
- “Tuning in to Kids “emotion coaching”
- “Magic, 123 & emotion coaching”
- Mother Goose
- Positive Parenting Program PPP
- All children attending groups require pre-assessment with one of our health professionals before the groups commence.
- Fees and Eligibility can be discussed at the time of booking
- To find out more please contact us on 9890 2220 or make an online enquiry.