Did you know that roughly one in three people over 65, have at least one fall a year?
Our Integrated Falls Assessment Service (IFAS) aims to change that statistic in our community.
IFAS is a Geriatrician led service with a goal to help people maintain their independence and mobility. The service provides people with a falls prevention plan which focuses on early intervention to help reduce their chances of fall related injury. IFAS is a holistic program that approaches the various factors that contribute to an individuals overall health and well being. As a result, IFAS supports older adults in avoiding injury and empowers them to maintain their ability to keep moving.
Led by a Geriatrician, a falls assessment plan may also include a Physiotherapist and Occupational Therapist depending on the individuals needs and goals. There is also the option to attend our Falls Prevention Exercise Program, led by a Physiotherapist and running over a 15 week term (Please note: This program is not covered under Medicare).
Further support and referral is also offered, to provide a plan that covers all aspects of a persons mental, physical and social well-being. Other support areas may include:
- Our Community Nurse Service
- Dietitian Service
- Social Groups & Programs (such as Men’s Shed)
- Physical Groups & Exercise Programs
(Please note that although these services may be enlisted in your falls prevention plan, they may not be covered by Medicare and any fee’s will be discussed during your appointments).
During the IFAS program, the support team keep our patients regular GP updated on the progress of their falls prevention plan. We also understand that many people rely on carers and family to help them in older adulthood and we welcome carers to attend appointments if required.
For more info on IFAS scroll below to read our FAQ’s or make an enquiry.
Make an Enquiry
Frequently Asked Questions:
Eligibility and Assessment
- To access IFAS, you will need to see your GP to provide a referral.
- Your GP will provide a referral, based on their assessment as to whether you are at a falls risk
- Our Geriatrician will then share any outcomes from IFAS, with your regular GP.
How do I make an appointment?
- Once we have received your GP referral, you will be contacted by our team and placed on our priority waiting list
- If you have any further questions you can contact the IFAS team on 8843 2238 or email email@example.com
What does it cost?
- This service is free of charge for Medicare Card holders with a GP referral.
- Should you be connected to any of our other services, any applicable costs will be explained during your appointment.
What is a Geriatrician?
- A Geriatrician is a medical doctor who specialises in the holistic care of older adults.
- During an initial IFAS appointment, our Geriatrician will conduct an assessment to talk about your health overall, your medical history and risk of falls.
- The Geriatrician may also recommend you participate in our other programs and services such as the ‘No Falls’ falls prevention program, our Podiatry, Physiotherapy or other services.