This service is free of charge and no appointment is needed.
Where: After Hours GP Clinic, 36 Wellington Rd Box Hill
Open: 2-7pm Saturday & Sunday
6-11pm Monday to Friday (includes public holidays)
Phone: 1300 003 509 (freecall)
A mental health nurse is a registered nurse who specialises in working with people living with mental illness.
The goal of a mental health nurse is to support the individual to manage their life..
This can include helping them with their physical, social, cultural and spiritual needs.
Examples can include:
• working with you on recovery or management of your mental illness
• help educating you, your family and your doctor about your mental illness and its treatment
• supporting you to talk to your doctor about mental health
• providing counselling and strategies to deal with emotional difficulties and stress
• help you deal with symptoms and any medication you take
• linking you with health professionals involved in your care, like your doctor, a psychologist or psychiatrist, to make sure you get the most appropriate treatment
• help with services like Centrelink, housing and community programs
• talk to your family and support people, if you want
• help you review your mental health care plan with your doctor.
(Adapted from healthdirect.gov.au )
The After Hours Mental Health Nursing Support Service has been designed to support people in the hours when services are limited.
The service is here to help people experiencing mild mental health issues like anxiety, stress, depression and grief.
This service is ideal for people needing:
- brief intervention
- navigation of mental health services
- medication review
The After Hours Mental Health Nursing Support Service is not a crisis support or emergency service and we will not be able to meet the needs of people who present:
- as actively experiencing psychosis
- as actively suicidal
- as high risk of being aggressive or violent
- intoxicated or substance affected
Clients with these issues need a more urgent service and should contact 000 or visit a hospital Emergency Department.
This service is delivered by Carrington Health and funded by the Australian Government under the PHN Program.
For more information contact:
Rosalyn Sandwell, Manager Counselling, Mental Health & Youth firstname.lastname@example.org